Lost Luggage | BJCP Category 20A. American Porter
ABV: 5.8% | IBU: 38.8 | OG: 1.057 | FG: 1.013 | SRM: 34.6
A dark brown, medium bodied porter with notes of chocolate, toffee, biscuit, caramel, and dark fruit. Where’d your luggage go?
Extract, Steeping Grain, Hops, Yeast, 1 Grain bag, and Priming sugar.
6 Lbs Golden Light DME
8 oz Brown Malt
8 oz UK Chocolate
8 oz Pale Chocolate
6.0 oz Amber Malt
6.0 oz Crystal/Caramel 10L
4.0 oz Crystal/Caramel 120L
0.5 oz Fuggle (pellet) 4.50% AA (60)
1 oz Kent Golding (pellet) 5.00%AA (45min)
1 oz Kent Golding (pellet) 5.00%AA (30min)
1 oz Fuggle (pellet) 4.50%AA (10 min)
White Labs WLP001 – California Ale Yeast or Wyeast 1056 American Ale
All Grain Option
Replace 6lbs of DME with 8.5lbs Maris Otter
Mash at 150°F for 60 Min
Making The Wort
- Prepare a bucket with Sanitizer
- Bring 3 gal of Water to ~155 F
- Put Another 3 gal of bottled (or pre boiled) water in the freezer
- Put Steeping Grains in the muslin grain bag and add to water for 15-20 min
- Occasionally Stir, Gently and try to maintain 155 F using very low heat
- Remove the grain bag and let it drip dry. Do Not Squeeze!
- Add Extract and Bring to a boil
- First Wort Hops should be added after extract but before reaching boil
- Watch out for the Boil Over, It will happen….
- Add Bittering Hops if you did not add as a first wort addition and start a timer for 60 Minutes
- Stir Often
- Add remaining hops according to the boil times list.
- Times indicated are a count down within the 60 min total boil time
- When the timer is up, remove the pot from heat.
- Add Steeping Hops, wait 10-15 minutes
- Place in ice bath and begin cooling, Kitchen Sink or a tub works well
- Add 1-2 gal of previously chilled water after about 5-10 minutes
- Transfer wort to fermenter, splashing vigorously to aerate.
- Using a hydrometer take Original Gravity and top up if necessary.
- Add Yeast when wort is below 80 F
- Enjoy the show over the next 2 weeks!
- The yeast will be quite active while its turning your Wort into Beer so pay attention and don’t let the airlock get clogged with foam (krausen),
Dry Hopping/Fermenter Additions/Special Notes
3 days before bottling/kegging, add 1.5 oz Mosaic directly to the fermentor
2 days before bottling/kegging, add 2 oz of Amarillo to the fermentor.
- Boil 4 oz of sugar in 2 cups of water for 10-15 minutes
- Cool to room temp and add to bottom of sanitized bottling bucket
- Transfer the Beer to the bucket Gently
- Be careful not to disturb the sediment at the bottom of your fermenter
- Use the spigot and bottling wand to fill your bottles and cap
- Wait 2-3 weeks for carbonation to build, chill and enjoy!
- Make sure to pour your delicious beer into the proper glassware as there will likely be some sediment in the bottles.
Questions? Don’t Panic…. Give us a ringy dingy (619)450-6165