Your Favorite Beer | BJCP Category 18A Blonde Ale
ABV: 4.6% | IBU: 20 | OG: 1.042 | FG: 1.008 | SRM: 2.9
A delightful, pairable, delicious blonde beer with delicate hop character, and a nice, smooth malt-forward attitude. This beer is all about good times and even better eats. Slightly biscuity and fruity, with notes of peach and apricot, finishing with a hoppy floral character.
Extract, Steeping Grain, Hops, Yeast, 1 Grain bag, and Priming sugar.
3 lbs Golden Light DME
2 lbs Extra Light (Pilsen) DME
12 oz Maris Otter
4.0 oz Torrefied Wheat
4.0 oz Flaked Corn
4.0 oz Flaked Oats
0.75 oz Kent Golding First Wort (60min)
1.25 oz Kent Golding Flameout/Steep 20 min
White Labs WLP001 – California Ale Yeast or Wyeast 1056 American Ale
All Grain Option
Replace Malt Extract with 5lbs Golden Promise plus 2lbs German Pilsner, and combine with steeping grains listed above.
Mash at 154°F for 60 Min ; Boil for 60 minutes
Making The Wort
- Prepare a bucket with Sanitizer
- Bring 3 gal of Water to ~155 F
- Put Another 3 gal of bottled (or pre boiled) water in the freezer
- Put Steeping Grains in the muslin grain bag and add to water for 15-20 min
- Occasionally Stir, Gently and try to maintain 155 F using very low heat
- Remove the grain bag and let it drip dry. Do Not Squeeze!
- Add Extract and Bring to a boil
- First Wort Hops should be added after extract but before reaching boil
- Watch out for the Boil Over, It will happen….
- Add Bittering Hops if you did not add as a first wort addition and start a timer for 60 Minutes
- Stir Often
- Add remaining hops according to the boil times list.
- Times indicated are a count down within the 60 min total boil time
- When the timer is up, remove the pot from heat.
- Add Steeping Hops, wait 10-15 minutes
- Place in ice bath and begin cooling, Kitchen Sink or a tub works well
- Add 1-2 gal of previously chilled water after about 5-10 minutes
- Transfer wort to fermenter, splashing vigorously to aerate.
- Using a hydrometer take Original Gravity and top up if necessary.
- Add Yeast when wort is below 80 F
- Enjoy the show over the next 2 weeks!
- The yeast will be quite active while its turning your Wort into Beer so pay attention and don’t let the airlock get clogged with foam (krausen),
Dry Hopping/Fermenter Additions/Special Notes
3 days before bottling/kegging, add 1.5 oz Mosaic directly to the fermentor
2 days before bottling/kegging, add 2 oz of Amarillo to the fermentor.
- Boil 4 oz of sugar in 2 cups of water for 10-15 minutes
- Cool to room temp and add to bottom of sanitized bottling bucket
- Transfer the Beer to the bucket Gently
- Be careful not to disturb the sediment at the bottom of your fermenter
- Use the spigot and bottling wand to fill your bottles and cap
- Wait 2-3 weeks for carbonation to build, chill and enjoy!
- Make sure to pour your delicious beer into the proper glassware as there will likely be some sediment in the bottles.
Questions? Don’t Panic…. Give us a ringy dingy (619)450-6165